I’m often working with my clients ( and myself ) on ‘changing our stories’. Those stories that we continue to repeat in our minds and out loud, that will eventually manifest in our lives. The story of “I’m so busy”, the story of “Maybe I’m not meant to be successful’, the story of “I can’t do what I want because of…” – fill in the blank.
I was recently in Indigo/ Chapters, one of my favourite places, and I found an awesome pen. The words, “Live the Story You Want to Tell”, are written across it. I loved it so I got one for myself and a few for client gifts.
Hmm… Live the Story You Want to Tell. What does that mean for you?
Every day we get to make a choice. A choice to create what we want in our life or a choice to create what we don’t want. We do that by many little choices throughout the day. Those choices often stem from our thoughts. Our thoughts create our feelings, our feelings create our actions and our actions create our results.
So, the best place to start, is with our thoughts! How do we know which thoughts are creating our reality? They all are! So, if you want to create a life and story that you want to tell, you need to make sure that your thoughts reflect the things you want to experience.
It’s impossible to monitor every thought we have of course, but we have an amazing tool to know if our thoughts are taking us in the right direction. Our emotions. If you feel positive emotions – joy, happiness, excitement, empowerment and bliss, you are going in the right direction. Those feelings change our energy or vibration, and things, people and experiences that match this energy, will appear in our lives. Awesome!
If you are experiencing negative emotions – fear, anger or depression, it is a sign that you are focussed on what you don’t want in your life.
Those negative emotions can be a gift because they let you know right away that you’re going in the wrong direction, and you can make a choice to choose a new direction. Even stopping from going further in the wrong direction is beneficial.
How can you choose a new direction? Here are some practical ideas:
• Notice when you are feeling a negative emotion. Awareness is always the first step.
• Check in to see why you are feeling that emotion. Where is your focus?
• Turn the focus of what you don’t want, to a focus on what you do want. It can be as simple as a stating the opposite of what you are thinking. For example, you notice you’re feeling kind of ‘off’. You check in to see why you’re feeling this way and discover you are thinking about how much you hate your job. Obviously, this is something you don’t want. To turn it around, you could simply say. “I want to love the work I do”.
• Elaborate on your new focus. Expand the feelings. To use the above example, you might think about the kind of work you would do, how you would feel doing it or the impact you would be making in the world.
• Finally, take some action on your new awareness. The action might be to journal about your feelings, it might be to speak with a trusted friend or it might be creating a list of all of the things you do like about your current job. You might then be inspired to take some outward action: speaking to your employer about a possible shift within the company or exploring the idea of starting your own business.
All of these ideas can be applied to any and every area of your life. You get to be a deliberate creator of your life.
What a gift!
You get to Be the Author of Your Own Life Story, and to Live the Story You Want to Tell!